St. Johns is located in North Portland on the tip of a peninsula formed by the convergence of the Willamette and Columbia Rivers. It was named in honor of settler James Johns, who laid out the original eight-block town site in 1865. Originally its own town, St. Johns was annexed by Portland in 1915. With its proximity to two rivers, various industrial companies helped establish the area and employed the majority of its residents. Adjoining neighborhoods include University Park, Linnton and Kenton.
The two 408-foot gothic towers of the St. Johns Bridge signify the entrance of the city, majestically welcoming residents and visitors alike. Historically a blue-collar neighborhood, St. Johns embraces a diverse community of citizens and has attracted a burgeoning artist population in recent years. Home to the University of Portland, rated among the top 10 schools in the West by U.S. News and World Report, college students contribute to an underlying youthful energy.
Many of the independently-owned downtown shops are some of Portland’s oldest. The shops and restaurants are largely locally owned, enhancing the small town feel of this community. It’s a short drive over the beautifully striking St.Johns Bridge to access all the amenities offered by Portland’s city life.
The Willamette and Columbia Rivers afford residents easy access to numerous outdoor and water activities. Boaters and fishers begin their adventures at the boat ramp in Cathedral Park, located just below the St. Johns Bridge. The Smith and Bybee Lakes Wildlife Area is the largest protected urban wetland in the nation. Its endless miles of multi-use trails are perfect for hiking, running, biking and even catching a glimpse of the